It should come as no surprise, California is a market on the minds of many franchisees. TWO MEN AND A TRUCK® has experienced significant expansion in the state over the past several years, but the growth has really just begun in The Golden State. The potential opportunities are very exciting, especially when you consider the following:
- California is the largest state, with a population of 39 million
- If California were a country, it would have the 8th largest economy in the world (just behind Brazil, and ahead of Russia and India)
- 20% of all moves in the United States either originate or terminate in California
- Median home price in California is $448,000, and has gone up 4.9% in the past year
Needless to say, California is a state where many potential customers have access to the TWO MEN AND A TRUCK® system. With more than 50 viable marketing areas across the state, California is a huge piece of the development puzzle for the TWO MEN AND A TRUCK® brand and will help set the tone for the company’s aggressive goals over the next decade.
With this in mind, it would seem to make all the sense in the world for TWO MEN AND A TRUCK® franchisees to look at obtaining franchises in California as part of their expansion plan. In fact, it will make complete sense for some, but not without remembering the old adage that “nothing good ever comes easy.” Despite the large and growing economy, California has a well-deserved reputation as a challenging state in which to do business.
Alicia Sorber Gallegos, and her husband Pedro, are multi-unit franchisees in San Diego. They were attracted by the weather, quality of life, and sheer size of the market. They also knew there were unique challenges with doing business in the state.
“This state has incredible potential, and the upside is huge. There is a lot of work to be done to increase brand recognition and reach critical mass, but we are making good progress.”
Alicia added that it is essential for anyone looking at California to consider a few key things:
- Must have a long-term investment mentality. It is hard work, and you won’t necessarily see the initial rapid growth that franchisees have experienced in more mature TWO MEN AND A TRUCK®
- Must be creative. Labor laws, tariff restrictions, real estate costs, and other business challenges present real hurdles; but they can be overcome with creativity.
- Marketing is essential. Of course, marketing is key to any market. However, because of the vast size of the markets in California, franchisees must have an aggressive marketing mindset and the budget to go along with it.
At the end of the day, Alicia and Pedro are very happy to be in San Diego. They have learned a lot, and have helped pave the way for future locations. Alicia noted she is excited about the growth of TWO MEN AND A TRUCK® across the state, and she envisions a time when the brand will dominate California like it currently does in many other areas across the country.
Franchisees Mark Snyir and Chad Arnold have opened multiple locations in the Sacramento area, and share Alicia’s enthusiasm for California. Mark and Chad have been in California since 2000, and they recently signed an agreement to expand into additional marketing areas, making them sole franchisees in the entire Sacramento market. Mark acknowledges the state presents challenges, but he believes every market has its unique issues.
“We have just learned to adapt over the years, and we really believe in this state. There are so many moves to do, and the economy here is really strong. This is a great place to be,” said Snyir. “The more locations we get out here, the more we will be able to increase brand awareness and take market share.”
It is exciting to watch the TWO MEN AND A TRUCK® system grow throughout 2015 and see that franchisees are already engaged in planning for 2016 and beyond.
Noelle Burak is the Franchise Development Manager at TWO MEN AND A TRUCK®. She works hard to guide prospects and franchisees through the TWO MEN AND A TRUCK® franchise process as well as create marketing initiatives in key development areas.
Visit twomenandatruckfranchising.com to learn more about franchising opportunities. TWO MEN AND A TRUCK® is the first and largest franchised moving company in the United States. Let us move your career forward. Consider investing in us and becoming a franchisee today!